United States Flag
Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security

Report Crimes: Email or Call 1-866-DHS-2-ICE


Member of marijuana distribution organization pleads guilty to kidnapping in aid of racketeering

BALTIMORE — Dean Myrie, aka "Journey," 39, a Jamaican national, pleaded guilty Tuesday to kidnapping a fellow member of a drug organization, who was later murdered. The investigation was conducted by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations (HSI), the Baltimore County Police Department Homicide/Missing Persons Unit and the Anne Arundel County Police Department.

"Law enforcement in Maryland is united in its resolve to protect our communities from the scourge of narcotics trafficking and the violence associated with it," said William Winter, special agent in charge for HSI Baltimore. "This HSI led investigation was greatly enhanced by the assistance and the expertise of the Baltimore County Police Department – Homicide Division who uncovered and solved the murder of Michael Knight. HSI will continue working with our law enforcement partners to investigate and, ultimately, dismantle criminal organizations that are wreaking violence in our communities through the illicit drug trade."

According to his plea agreement, from at least 2005 through 2010, Myrie was part of the Brown drug organization which operated a large-scale marijuana trafficking operation in Baltimore and elsewhere. Myrie assisted in the distribution of marijuana to the organization's customers outside of Baltimore and performed odd jobs for the leader of the organization.

On Dec. 16, 2009, Myrie assisted in the kidnapping of Michael Knight. According to the plea agreement, Knight was holding $1 million for the organization, but when the money was collected, $250,000 was missing. Myrie drove Knight, who was bound with a telephone cable, and other members of the organization to an apartment in White Marsh, Md., where members of the organization interrogated Knight. After Knight was not able to provide the location of the money, the leader of the organization ordered other members to kill Knight. Subsequently, Knight was stabbed to death in the bathtub. Myrie was present over the next few days as members of the drug organization dismembered Knight, and Myrie assisted in disposing of Knight's body.

Myrie faces a maximum of life in prison for kidnapping in aid of racketeering at his sentencing Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:00 p.m. before U.S. District Judge William D. Quarles Jr.

This Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Force case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorneys Stefan D. Cassella and Peter M. Nothstein.