United States Flag
Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security

Report Crimes: Email or Call 1-866-DHS-2-ICE


Connecticut marijuana trafficker sentenced to 41 months in federal prison

NEW HAVEN, Conn. - David B. Fein, U.S. Attorney for the District of Connecticut, announced that Brian Danzi, 35, of Greenwich, Conn., was sentenced today by U.S. District Judge Mark R. Kravitz in New Haven to 41 months of imprisonment, followed by three years of supervised release, for his involvement in a marijuana trafficking ring. On May 5, 2009, Danzi pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to distribute marijuana and one count of distribution of marijuana. Today's sentence is the result of an investigation by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Office of Homeland Security Investigations (HSI).

According to court documents and statements made in court, Brian Danzi, his brother Michael Danzi, and others participated in a drug trafficking organization that was responsible for transporting shipments of high-quality hydroponic marijuana from Canada to southwestern Connecticut for distribution in and around Fairfield County. The investigation revealed that the organization imported hundreds of pounds of marijuana into the United States over several years, and that the Danzis sold approximately 30 pounds of the marijuana per month at a wholesale cost of approximately $4,000 per pound. The proceeds of the marijuana distribution were then routed back to Canada.

During the course of the investigation, federal agents seized nearly $800,000 that was being smuggled to Canada. The seized cash, as well as a Mercedes-Benz automobile, a Jeep and two all-terrain vehicles owned by the Danzis have been forfeited to the government.

Michael Danzi previously pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to distribute marijuana and one count of conspiracy to smuggle bulk cash out of the United States. On Dec. 8, 2009, Judge Kravitz sentenced him to 48 months of imprisonment.

This matter was investigated ICE HSI, the Drug Enforcement Administration, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and the Greenwich, Stratford, Stamford, Norwalk and Naugatuck Police Departments in Connecticut.

The case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney H. Gordon Hall.