The HSI-led National Intellectual Property Rights Coordination Center (IPRC) is responsible for coordinating a unified U.S. government response to the growing threat of counterfeiting, and has significantly expanded the original multi-agency law enforcement and regulatory endeavor created to target intellectual property (IP) crimes. The IPRC comprises the HSI Intellectual Property Unit, Commercial Fraud (CF) Unit and Outreach and Training Unit. In addition, the IPRC brings together 25 key federal and international agencies in a task force setting using a three-pronged approach to combat IP and trade crime: interdiction, investigation and outreach to the public and law enforcement.
The IPRC is responsible for the following:
- Reconciling investigative leads on intellectual property theft.
- Maintaining a presence at the National Cyber-Forensics and Training Alliance, which combines efforts from the private sector, academia and Intellectual Property Rights Center partners to further intellectual property and trade fraud investigative leads.
- Engaging with CBP to create Trade Enforcement Coordination Centers where agents and officers are co-located at ports of entry to cooperate on trade fraud enforcement issues.
- Conducting training for partners and counterparts.
- Coordinating multi-jurisdictional investigations involving intellectual property rights violations.
- Conducting outreach to industry, domestic/foreign counterparts and the public.
The following agencies are members of the HSI-led IPRC:
- U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Homeland Security Investigations
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration Office of Criminal Investigations
- U.S. Postal Inspection Service
- U.S. Department of Commerce, International Trade Administration
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Naval Criminal Investigative Service
- Defense Criminal Investigative Service
- U.S. Army Criminal Investigative Command, Major Procurement Fraud Unit
- U.S. General Services Administration, Office of the Inspector General
- U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
- Government of Mexico, Tax Administration Service
- Defense Logistics Agency, Office of the Inspector General
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police
- U.S. Department of State, Office of International Intellectual Property Enforcement
- U.S. Air Force, Office of Special Investigations
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Office of the Inspector General
- Nuclear Regulatory Commission
- Federal Maritime Commission
- U.S. Postal Service, Office of the Inspector General
- City of London Police
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, Office of the Inspector General
Homeland Security Investigations
Investigating cross border criminal activity
Intellectual Property Crime and Trade Fraud
Protecting intellectual property and combating illicit trade practices
National IPR Coordination Center
Upholding Fairness in Global Trade
Investigating intellectual property crime, trade fraud & export violations