Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

March 20, 2012Hartford, CTUnited StatesNarcotics

Connecticut man involved in cocaine distribution conspiracy sentenced

HARTFORD, Conn. — A Connecticut man was sentenced Wednesday to 10 years in prison, followed by five years of supervised release, for conspiring to distribute cocaine. The sentence is the result of an investigation conducted by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations (HSI).

Alberto Cruz, 31, of Waterbury, Conn., who was also known as "Flaca," was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Robert N. Chatigny.

According to court documents, in July 2009, after being alerted by a U.S. Postal Service supervisor in Waterbury, law enforcement officers seized two parcels containing approximately one kilogram of cocaine each that had been mailed from Puerto Rico. The packages had been addressed to separate residences in Waterbury.

In the spring of 2010, law enforcement agents made controlled purchases of heroin and cocaine from Cruz and his associates. On June 5, 2010, state investigators conducting a wiretap investigation intercepted calls between Cruz and another individual during which Cruz and the individual discussed shipping kilograms of cocaine from Puerto Rico to the United States.

On June 8, 2010, state investigators arrested Cruz for state narcotics offenses. Following his arrest, Cruz stated that in 2009, he was approached by another individual about receiving kilogram quantities of cocaine through the mail in exchange for approximately $1,000 for each parcel.

Cruz admitted that he arranged for the delivery of at least five shipments of cocaine between April and July 2009. The two parcels that were seized by law enforcement in July 2009 were addressed to the Waterbury residences of his mother and his brother, respectively.

On Sept. 7, 2011, Cruz pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute 500 grams or more of cocaine.

This case was investigated by HSI, U.S. Postal Inspection Service and the Connecticut State Police Statewide Narcotics Task Force.

The case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Geoffrey M. Stone, District of Connecticut.

Updated: 12/09/2014