United States Flag
Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security

Report Crimes: Email or Call 1-866-DHS-2-ICE

mobile search image


  • Email icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • Print icon



Submitting documents to SEVP? Refer to the Guidelines for Submission of PDF Documents to SEVP.

Mailing Address

Student and Exchange Visitor Program
Attn: (Branch Name or Job Title)
500 12th Street, SW Stop 5600
Washington, D.C. 20536-5600

SEVP Response Center

If you have an SEVP or SEVIS-related question, call (703) 603-3400 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. ET on weekdays, except holidays.

Our goal is to answer your questions during your initial call. If your question or issue requires research, we will respond as quickly as possible.

Media Inquiries Only

If you are a member of the media, please contact:

Carissa Cutrell
Public Affairs Officer
(757) 441-6533, Ext. 253

SEVIS technical help

  • E-mail: sevp@ice.dhs.gov
  • Call the SEVP Response Center: (800) 892-4829 between 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. ET

Initial school certification questions

  • E-mail: sevp@ice.dhs.gov
    Please note: this e-mail address may only be used for school officials with a pending Form I-17, "Petition for Approval of School for Attendance by Nonimmigrant Student." If you have not yet applied, please contact sevp@ice.dhs.gov.
  • Call: (703) 603-3591

Form I-17 update questions

  • E-mail: sevp@ice.dhs.gov
    Please note: this is for any questions related to updating your Form I-17.

Recertification questions

  • E-mail: sevp@ice.dhs.gov
    Please note: this is for any questions related to recertification.

I-901 Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) fee questions and payment issues

Form I-515A "Notice to Student or Exchange Visitor" issues

Student questions

  • First, contact the principal designated school official or designated school official listed on your Form I-20, "Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status."

Exchange visitor questions

  • First, contact the responsible officer or alternate responsible officer listed on your Form DS-2019, "Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status."

DMV/driver's license or SSA/Social Security number questions

  • Please review our fact sheet for common issues, troubleshooting and SEVP contact information.

Study in the States is a Department of Homeland Security resource for F, M and J non-immigrants and for school officials. Study in the States is a one-stop repository of accurate, timely and relevant news, information and guidance on the rules, regulations, policies and procedures pertaining to international students who are studying in the United States. By making information more accessible, Study in the States enhances national security while encouraging the best and brightest F and M students to study and learn about expanded post-graduate opportunities in the United States.

Follow Study in the States on Twitter @StudyinStates.

Like Study in the States on Facebook.

Follow the Student and Exchange Visitor Program on LinkedIn.

Visit Study in the States’s social media page, Get Social with Study in the States.

Last Reviewed/Updated: 06/07/2019