U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) detention standards require detained noncitizens be allowed confidential contact with legal representatives. ICE has implemented Virtual Attorney Visitation (VAV) in some detention facilities across the country to improve access to legal representatives.
VAV facilitates confidential attorney-client conversations through virtual technology — Cisco, WebEx, Skype — and does not substitute in-person meetings with clients. VAV provides a timely, efficient communication alternative between attorneys and their detained clients.
All ICE-funded VAV meetings are at no cost to detained noncitizens or legal representatives. The VAV program creates a mechanism for legal representatives to schedule client meetings in advance and add interpreters easily to VAV calls. The program also enhances flexibility scheduling visiting hours and expanding visiting opportunities.
Virtual Legal Visit Procedures
As with in-person legal visitation, the legal representative will be required to show appropriate identification — a bar card from any state or other available documentation demonstrating bar membership prior to the scheduled meeting.
- Only legal representatives, legal assistants and interpreters will be allowed.
- No family or friends of clients are permitted in the visitation.
- Legal representatives may contact outside interpretation services during the call or session.
The existing visitation officer shall maintain safety and security for all detained noncitizens using the VAV program. The visitation officer will ensure confidentiality of communications between legal representatives and detained noncitizens.
- Please be advised legal representatives and their staff are not permitted to take video or audio recordings during any virtual or in-person visit or any call with detained noncitizens.
- Any violation of these rules may result in suspension or permanent revocation of VAV user privileges.
- Adams County Correctional Center
- Alamance County Detention Center
- Bluebonnet Detention Facility
- Buffalo (Batavia) Service Processing Center
- Broward Transitional Center
- Caroline Detention Facility
- Central Arizona Florence Correctional Center
- Central Louisiana ICE Processing Center (Jena)
- Chase County Jail
- Cibola County Correctional Center
- Clinton County Correctional Facility
- Coastal Bend Detention Center
- Denver Contract Detention Facility
- Desert View Annex
- Eden Detention Center
- El Valle Detention Facility
- Folkston ICE Processing Center (Annex)
- Folkston ICE Processing Center (Main)
- Golden State Annex
- Houston Contract Detention Facility
- Imperial Regional Detention Facility
- Jackson Parish Correctional Center
- Joe Corley Processing Center
- Kandiyohi County Jail
- Karnes County Immigration Processing Center
- Kay County Detention Center
- Mesa Verde ICE Processing Facility
- Montgomery Processing Center
- Moshannon Valley Processing Center
- Otay Mesa Detention Center
- Pine Prairie ICE Processing Center
- Port Isabel Service Processing Center
- Prairieland Detention Facility
- Richwood Correctional Center
- River Correctional Center
- San Luis Regional Detention Center
- South Louisiana ICE Processing Center
- South Texas Family Residential Center
- South Texas ICE Processing Center
- Stewart Detention Center
- T. Don Hutto Residential Center
- Torrance County Detention Facility
- Winn Correctional Center
Some ICE-contracted facilities may have separate video-visitation programs. For more information, visit the facility pages.
- Baker County Facility
- Boone County Jail
- Calhoun County Correctional Center
- Clinton County Jail
- Elmore County Detention Center
- Freeborn County Jail Service
- Grand Forks County Correctional Center
- Hall County
- Henderson Detention Center
- IAH Polk Adult Detention Facility
- Kandiyohi County Jail
- Limestone County Detention Center